I decided a little levity today would be welcome… It seems like a workday Tuesday after much of last week off is a hurdle better overcome with some giggles:
Ways To Have Fun in the Workplace
- Page yourself over the intercom. Don’t disguise your voice.
- Find out where your boss shops and buy exactly the same outfits Wear them one day after your boss does. This is especially effective if your boss is of a different gender than you.
- Make up nicknames for all your coworkers and refer to them only by these names. “That’s a good point, Sparky.” “No, I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to disagree with you there, Cha-Cha.”
- Send e-mail to the rest of the company telling them exactly what you’re doing. For example: “If anyone needs me, I’ll be on the roof.”
- Hi-Lite your shoes. Tell people you haven’t lost them as much since you did this.
- Hang mosquito netting around your cubicle. When you emerge to get coffee or a printout or whatever, slap yourself randomly the whole way.
- Put a chair facing a printer. Sit there all day and tell people you’re waiting for your security documents.
- Every time someone asks you to do something, anything, ask them if they want fries with that.
- Send e-mail back and forth to yourself engaging yourself in an intellectual debate. Forward the mail to one of your colleagues and ask her to settle the disagreement.
- Put your office’s Iron Mountain bin on your desk. Label it “IN” or “INBOX.” This is especially good if you are out of the office on vacation.
- Feign an unnatural and hysterical fear of staplers and / or clients.
- Send e-mail messages saying there’s free pizza or donuts or cake in the lunchroom. When people drift back to work complaining that they found none, lean back, pat your stomach and say, “oh you’ve got to be faster than that.”
- Put decaf in the coffeemaker for three weeks. Once everyone has withdrawn from caffeine addiction, switch to espresso.